Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Danger of Old Inkjet Ink

The danger of old inkjet ink is that it gums up your inkjet printer. It's taken me years to learn this lesson!

In November of 2015, I purchased new black and yellow inks. Prior to this my black and yellow inks were over 7 years old. I was constantly adding water to these 7-year-old inks to make them flow better. Stubborn guy that I am, I would not break down and buy new ink.

It has been 6 months (almost) since I purchased new black and yellow inks. Finally! My print heads are now clear and I get a perfect black ink pattern and a perfect yellow ink pattern. The perfect patterns for yellow and black have perfect stair-steps.

I may be stubborn, but when faced with overwhelming evidence, I have to change my mind! About an hour ago, I re-ordered all new ink for by Epson R200. I ordered from inksupply.com.

My 6 new ink colors only cost $22.95, including shipping. Why did it take me so long to order 6 new 2 oz ink bottles and throw out the old inks that are over 7 years old? Incredible stuborness. Dogged, persistent, unyielding stubborness.

Having now learned my lesson, I plan to go in the completely opposite direction: I will be reordering new inks every year. Inksupply.com recommends that you only keep your inks about a year. I'm finally ready to absorb the wisdom of that recommendation.

Why I would think that the people who actually formulate inkjet ink would not know what they are talking about is now hard for me to understand. What took me so long to come around to their point of view?

I can apply this lesson to many other areas of my life. If something is not working, be willing to pursue the most obvious solution. Try something new!

I'm humbled.

Ed Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment